- International Cookbooks
- Indian and Asian Cookbooks
- The Bengali Five Spice Chronicles, Expanded Edition
The Bengali Five Spice Chronicles, Expanded Edition
WINNER GOURMAND COOKBOOK AWARD for Best Indian Cuisine Cookbook
“What a seductive book this is, a tantalizing world of flavors waiting to be cooked, tasted, experienced . . . but the scope of the book is much larger, including a personal and well-told story of Bengali cuisine. I love this book!”
― Deborah Madison, author of The New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
Now expanded with over 60 new recipes and a new photo section, this perennial favorite of Bengali cuisine is more comprehensive than ever! Bengalis have been compared to the French in terms of food-obsessed peoples, as dining and entertaining are such an integral part of the culture. This book begins with a thorough introduction to Bengali culture and cooking, including sections on spices, ingredients, and equipment. Following are recipe chapters (incorporating a balance of traditional and contemporary recipes) on Rice & Breads, Lentils, Fried Vegetables and Fritters, Vegetarian First Courses, Vegetarian Entrees, Eggs, Fish, Chicken & Poultry, Meat Dishes, Chutneys & Relishes, Drinks & Snacks, and Desserts.
Includes 200 easy-to-follow recipes, including a new chapter on globally-influenced Bengali favorites, plus sections on spice pastes, spice blends, and essential tools, and sidebars with family anecdotes and historical and cultural information.
- Chicken Kacchi Biryani
- Haleem (Lentil, Meat and Cereal Porridge)
- Creamed Spinach with Mustard (Shorshe Saag)
- Bengali Golden Fragrant Rice
- Fish in Light Ginger Gravy (Halka Pabda Maacher Jhol)
- Saffron Rice with Meatballs (Moti Churi Biryani)
- Yellow Split Peas with Cauliflower and Radishes (Mulo ar Kopir Data Diye Motor Dal)
- Pepper-Spiced Bengali Vegetable Stew
- Lightly-spiced Pan fried Eggplant (Begun Bhaja)
- Channa Pudding (Channar Payesh)
- Cottage Cheese Cakes (Sandesh)
Rinku Bhattacharya is a Gourmand Award-winning cookbook author, blogger and cooking instructor. She is author of Spices & Seasons: Simple, Sustainable Indian Flavors and Instant Indian, both published by Hippocrene Books. She resides in the Hudson Valley area of New York. Visit her at spicechronicles.com.